Research  >  Communities  >  Historic Towns and Places  >  B

Cultural Heritage Center

103 S. 4th Street
Linn, MO 65051
(573) 897-2932
Historic  Towns  &  Places
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Name of Place Description / History Location County(s) Postal Service Map
Index
  • Babbtown
  • Babtown
  • 1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Southwest Osage County. Osage 1878-1906 1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
  • Bailey's Creek
  • Jan 1, 1851 - Baley's (sic) Creek, Osage, Missouri - No postmaster listed (14)

    1855 - Bailey's Creek, p-o, Osage co., Mo. (16)

    1873 Post Road - From Chamois, by Bailey's Creek, Pryor's Mill, and Mount Sterling to Delphi.

    Also, from Hermann, by Gasconade Ferry, Fredericksburg, Bailey's Creek, to Linn. (15)

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Northeast of Linn on mail route between Oshawa (Prior's Mill) and Chamois in 1870 map. Osage 1844-1907 1859
    1870
    1873
    1897
    1901
    1904
  • Barnett's Station
  • Barnett
  • "This village was abandoned by 1938. It was located in N Boone twp and was named for Dr. Harrison Barnett, who was a physician there in the early 1850's". (8)

    Same os Manton. (13)

    West of Marias Maries 1855-1858 1863
  • Bartonville
  • Original name of settlement near Mount Sterling.  Second location of Gasconade County courthouse (after Gasconade) in 1825 and then moved to Mount Sterling in 1828 due to flooding.  The Gasconade court house was moved to Hermann in 1842 after the formation of Osage County.

    May have been named for David Barton, Missouri's first United States Senator.

    Near center of original Gasconade County and later in Osage County when it was formed.  On Gasconade River and near old state road (hwy 50). Gasconade
    Osage
    N/A Hopefully
    Coming
    Soon
  • Baur
  • Later Tea. Southeast county on Bourbeuse River. Gasconade 1890-1893 N/A
  • Bay
  • Picturesque village with many original stuctures. One mile north of Hwy 50 in west county. Gasconade 1860-1963 1873
    1875
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Belle
  • 1873 Post Road -
    From Hermann, by Francis Peter's, on Second Creek, Mount Sterling, John B. Cooper's [Cooper's Hill], Alexander S. Rogers' [later Belle], in Galloway's Prairie, to Pay Down. (15)

    Photos

    Northeast corner of Maries County on Osage County border. Osage
    Maries
    Osage
    Maries
    1878-1895
    1895-1900
    1900-1901
    1901-Pres
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Bem
  •   South county near Bourbeuse River. Gasconade 1856-1862
    1876-1934
    1863
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Bend
  •   Near junction of Hwy 42 and Rt. Z, east of Vienna. Maries 1900-1917 1904
    1913
    1920
  • Bert
  • Called Bert for Bert Allen, postmaster.  Later known as Honseville. Springcreek township southeast of Vienna. Maries 1893-1899 1897
  • Bland
  • Originally located north of town and in the valley now known as Old Bland.  Most business', etc. moved up on the prairie when the Rock Island Railroad came through.

    Photos

    Five miles east of Belle on Hwy 28. Gasconade 1877-Pres 1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Bloom Garden
  • Bloomgarden
  • This place was on the Gasconade R. in the c. of co. It is said to have been named by Charles James for his fine garden. Mr James, a German, doubtless called it Blumengarten, i.e. flower garden, which has been anglicized to Bloomgarden. (8)

    One of the older settlements of Maries County.

    Southeast of Vienna west of the Gasconade River. Maries 1856-1861
    1863-1865
    1863
    1875
  • Bloomington
  • Same as Lanes Prairie (13)

    Later Lois

    Bloomington was indeed in Lane's Prairie but in a different location from the present day community know by that name.

    Also, called "The Hill".  Contained general store, blacksmith, doctor's office and post office and two story Lodge Hall.  Site of civil war skirmish.  Buildings, including log barn used as fortress during the skirmish was torn down in 1941-42 when the Vichy Airport was built by the US government for protection of Ft. Leonard Wood. (11)

    Site of the Masonic Lanes Prairie Lodge #531.  Bloomington changed it's name to Lois in 1896 and the Lodge relocated to Vichy in 1925. (11)

    Northeast corner of what is now Rolla National Airport. Mairies N/A N/A
  • Boaz
  •   ? Osage 1853-1859 N/A
  • Boegers
  • Previously Boeger's Store and later Hope Eastern county on Rt. N. Osage 1897 N/A
  • Boeger's Store
  • Later Boegers and then Hope Eastern county on Rt. N. Osage 1871-1897 1897
  • Bolton's Ford
  • Important river crossing in early part of county history on road from Westphalia to Jefferson City.  Place where the Union forces attempted to stop the advance of Gen. Price's confederate army in Oct. 1864.  Lewis Bolton was a large land owner here as early as 1835. At Castle Rock on the Osage River and the main road from Lane's Prairie to Jefferson City.  (sec20, 43n, 11w) Osage/
    Cole
    N/A N/A
  • Bonnot's
  • Post office prior to relocation to town of Dauphine Present day Bonnet's Mill Osage 1857-1869 1873
  • Bonnot's Mill
  • Previously Dauphine

    1915 Business & Individual Directory description

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Between Isbell Station and Osage City on Missouri Pacific Railroad and near confulence of Osage and Missouri Rivers. Osage 1892-Pres 1863
    1875
    1878
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Bourbois
  • Previously Burbois - Later Rosebud. East county. Gasconade 1895-1901 1875
    1897
    1901
  • Brinktown
  • Contains about 25 homes and several business'. (11) West county between the Big and Little Maries rivers. Maries 1903-Pres 1904
    1913
    1920
  • Broadway
  • Founded by Marcus John. (11)

                                            Broadway was a PO in eastern Johnson T. It was named for the road on which it was located. It was discontinued before 1938. (8)

    Southeast county on Bourbeuse River. Maries 1898-1921 1904
    1913
    1920
  • Buck Elk
  • John D. Goodman donated two acres of land for Buck Elk school in 1872.  Pilot Knob Baptist church was built adjacent to the school with cemetery in-between. Rd 716 off the end of Hwy M near Summerfield, Twp 41, Rng 8, Sec 10. Osage N/A OCC
  • Burbois
  • Later Bourbois.

    1873 Post Road -
    Also, from Washington, by Union, Beaufort, Burbois, Enon, Mount Sterling, Linn, Loose Creek, Lisle, and Taos, to Jefferson City. (15)

    East county near Rosebud. Gasconade 1870-1895 1873
    1892
    1895
  • Byron
  • 1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Photos

    Northeast of Belle on Rt. Y. Osage
    Maries
    Osage
    1860
    1860-1864
    1864-1920
    1873
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920