Research  >  Communities  >  Historic Towns and Places  >  C

Cultural Heritage Center

103 S. 4th Street
Linn, MO 65051
(573) 897-2932
Historic  Towns  &  Places
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Name of Place Description / History Location County(s) Postal Service Map
Index
  • Cadmus
  • "Cadmus was a PO in Spring Creek T. It was named for Cadmus of Greek mythology. It was discontinued by 1938". (8) South county, east of Gasconade River. Maries 1895-1909 1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Canaan
  • 1873 Post Road -
    From Hermann, by Drake, Owensville, Canaan, and High Grove, to Rolla. (15)
    Between Bland and Owensville on Hwy 28. Gasconade 1854-1932 1863
    1873
    1875
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Castle Rock
  • Castle Rock, on the Osage bottoms at its main western bend in this county, was a beautiful site for a town; it was founded a few years before the war, by the brave Col. George w. Boomer, of the Twenty-sixth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, who intended to make a representative place of it, and soon secured a large mill, a furniture factory, stores, hotel, church and school.  At the outbreak of the war it had assumed considerable proportions.  His acceptance of the colonelship of "the brave little Twenty-sixth," and his fall in battle, was the signal for the ruin of his town, which fell as quickly as it rose.  The first post route was the courier post between the capital and the metropolis of the State. (17)

    Shown as Rock Castle on 1861 map.

    In the fall of 1861, Col. George B. Boomer of Castle Rock recruited, from the Home Guards, the Twenty-sixth Missouri Volunteer Infantry.

    1873 Post Road -
    From Osage City, by Taos, Castle Rock, Westphalia, and Maries, to Vienna. (15)

    1915 - School district 49, Castle Rock, $27,520. (1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    On the Osage River, west of Folk. Osage 1856-1885 1861
    1863
    1873
    1875
  • Chamois
  • Early river town and later Division Town of Missouri Pacific Railroad.

    1873 Post Road - From Chamois, by Bailey's Creek, Pryor's Mill, and Mount Sterling to Delphi.
    Also, From Chamois to Portland. (15)

    1915 Business & Individual Directory description

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    North county at junction of hwy's 100 & 89, twp 45N, rng 8W on the Missouri River. Osage 1856-Pres 1861
    1863
    1870
    1873
    1875
    1878
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Charlotte
  •   East county between Drake and Rosebud. Gasconade 1888-1902 1897
    1901
  • Cleavesville
  •   South of Bland in southwest county. Gasconade 1854-1858
    1860-1866
    1878-1908
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Clifty Dale
  • A post office ten miles southeast of Vienna. (13) South county, west of Gasconade River.  Near Clifty Dale Creek and natural bridge. Maries 1855-1863
    1865-1887
    1863
    1873
    1875
    1892
    1901
  • Cote Sans Dessein
  • French for "hill without design".

    1855 - Cote Sans Dessein, p-v [postal village], Callaway co., Mo.  ...Situated on the N. bank of the Missouri r., a little below, and & opposite the entrance of the Osage r.  It is the site of an old French village, & derives its name from an isolated hill on the river bank. (16)

    North side of Missouri river across from the mouth of the Osage river. Callaway 1818-1825
    1826-1829
    1838-1876
    1882-1907
    1822
    1823
    1833
    1859
    1863
    1873
    1897
    1901
    1913
    1920
  • College Hill
  • Local community with only a Baptist church in the valley, cemetary on the hill about a half mile to the west and a closed school.

    Photos

    Off D Hwy in Jefferson Township.  The cemetary is noticeable from the highway but you have to drive down Rd 726 to get to Collage Hill Baptist Church on the banks of Mistaken Creek.  Twp 42, Rng 7, Sec 6 & 7. Osage N/A OCC
  • Cooper Hill
  • Also know as Gasburg before postoffice located there.

    The Leach Steam Saw and Grist Mill was located here  See Information on Cooper Hill.

    1873 Post Road -
    From Linn to Cooper Hill. (15)
    (Notice mail is also sent to John B. Cooper's during this same date)

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Photos

    Hwy D & Third Creek.  Twp 43N, Rng 7W, Sec 36. Osage 1893-1957 1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Cooper's Hill
  • Original Post Office and Store founded by John B. Cooper (sheriff of Osage County from 1862-1864) that was later moved to Gasburg (renamed Cooper Hill) where a community had developed around the Leach-Baker Mill and Dallmeyer Store.

    1873 Post Road -
    From Hermann, by Francis Peter's, on Second Creek, Mount Sterling, John B. Cooper's [Cooper's Hill], Alexander S. Rogers' [later Belle], in Galloway's Prairie, to Pay Down. (15)

    Located on hill between Mistaken Creek and Thrid Creek about 1/2 mile from Gasconade River.  Twp 42N, Rng 7W, Sec 2. Osage 1860-1893 1870
    1873
    1892
  • Crook
  • 1976 Osage County Memory Book description Northeast of Linn, close to Mint Hill. Osage 1903-1920 1904
    1920
  • Cross Roads
  •   Western Osage County. Gasconade

    Osage

    1840-1847

    N/A

    1846
    1859
    1861
    1863