Research  >  Communities  >  Historic Towns and Places  >  H

Cultural Heritage Center

103 S. 4th Street
Linn, MO 65051
(573) 897-2932
Historic  Towns  &  Places
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Name of Place Description / History Location County(s) Postal Service Map
Index
  • Hadley
  • There are still a couple of old structures remaining here, but completely grown over with trees and brush. Extreme eastern edge of county on Rt C. Maries 1907-1908 1920
  • Hayden
  •   South central county on Rt E. Maries 1890-1972 1895
    1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Heck
  •   Appears to be very near or the same location as Hadley. Maries 1900-1904 1904
    1913
  • Heckmann's Mill
  • Formerly Pryor's Mill. Northeast of Osage County on Gasconade River. Osage N/A N/A
  • Hermann
  • German settlement and present location of Gasconade County courthouse.

    Jan 1, 1851 - Hermann, Gasconade, Missouri - Postmaster - Christopher Moller (14)

    1855 - Hermann, p-v. [postal village], Gasconade co., Mo.  ...Situated on the right bank of the Missouri r.  It contains a court house, a Roman Catholic church, several stores, a printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper, & a monthly publication, & 500 inhabitants.  The cultivation of the vine in the vicinity has been entered into with much spirit by the inhabitants, who are pricipally of German descent, & wine has been made to the amount of 20,000 gals. for a few years past.  Pop. of the t., 943. (16)

    1873 Post Road - 
    From Danville, by Big Spring, Dry Fork Mills, Rhineland, and Loutre Island, to Hermann.
    From Hermann (see image).
    (15)

    North side of Gasconade County on the Missouri River. Gasconade 1838-Pres 1846
    1859
    1861
    1863
    1873
    1875
    1878
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • High Gate
  • Named after High Gate England where original immigrants came from. Eastern county at junction of Rt's H & U. Maries 1877-1971 1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • High Grove
  • 1873 Post Road -
    From Hermann, by Drake, Owensville, Canaan, and High Grove, to Rolla. (15)

    1874 - A post office on Spanish Prairie ten miles north northwest of St. James, it's nearest railroad station, and about eighteen miles southeast of Vienna. (13)

    This portion of the county was transferred to Maries from Crawford around 1862.

    Southeastern corner of county. Crawford
    Maries
    1856-1862
    1862-1909
    1873
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
  • Holliway's
  • Postmaster was Jonathan Holliway.  Mr. Holliway took out two seperate land patents at this location.  One in 1836 for the E1/2NE, sec 25, twp 43, rng 10 and another in 1840 for the SWS1/2, sec 19, twp 43, rng 10.

    John Thompson also had a store on Big Maries before Westphalia's time. (17)
    Thompson's land patent of 1837 was just across the river from Holliway's.

    Just north west of Westphalia on the Maries River.  Access by Rd 609 on the north and Rd 610 on the south. Gasconade 1832-1834 N/A
  • Honseville
  • "Honseville was a store and PO in Spring Creek twp. It was named for Robert Honse, storekeeper. It was formerly called Bert for Bert Allen, postmaster". (8) Springcreek township southeast of Vienna. Maries N/A N/A
  • Hope
  • Formerly Boegers and then Boeger's Store

    1915 Business & Individual Directory description

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Eastern Osage County on Rt. N. Osage 1897-1974 1901
    1904
    1913
    1920