Research  >  Communities  >  Historic Towns and Places  >  K

Cultural Heritage Center

103 S. 4th Street
Linn, MO 65051
(573) 897-2932
Historic  Towns  &  Places
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Name of Place Description / History Location County(s) Postal Service Map
Index
  • Kiddridge
  • "This PO was est. July 1873 and discontinued Dec. 1881. It is located in Crawford Twp and named for Captain J K Kidd, who was one of the early settlers there. The place is on a ridge". (8) ? Osage 1873-1881 N/A
  • Kinderhook
  • "It was the first post office in the county [Maries] (1837). It was named for President Van Buren's birthplace". (8)

    1873 Post Road -
    From Jefferson City, by Westphalia, Mavais, Kinderhook, Spanish Prairie, Maramec, Steelville, Osage, and Harmony, to Caledonia.
    Also, from Lisle, by Westphalia, Mavais, Pay Down, Kinderhook, Lane's Prairie, Spanish Prairie, Maramec, Steelville, Osage, and Harmony, to Caledonia. (15)

    Kinderhook was located on the Gasconade River on the main road from Maramec to Jefferson City.  Just downriver from the present crossing of hwy 42. Gasconade
    Osage
    Maries
    1839-1842
    N/A
    N/A
    1846
    1859
    1861
    1863
    1875
  • Kingston
  • Probably named for John King who patented land there in 1857.  Would later become L'Ouis Creek, Loose Creek Station, McKnight and finally Isbell Station. On the Missouri Pacific railroad and the Missouri River just up from the mouth of Loose Creek.  (sec4, 44n, 9w) Osage N/A 1859
  • Koeltztown
  • 1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Southwest Osage County. Osage 1862 - Pres 1873
    1875
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1920
  • Koenig
  • Largely German settlement, Methodist Church voted north when split unlike most of the other Methodist churchs in the area.

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Photos

    Twp 42, Rng 8, Sec 25, northeast of Belle. Osage 1892-1920 1895
    1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Krohn
  • The court buildings, previous to the erection of the first court-house at Linn, were...and the house of Eli McJilton, clerk, a small frame near the site of Krohn's store. (17) Probably just southeast of Linn were McJilton patented property in 1841. Osage 1907-1910 N/A