Research  >  Communities  >  Historic Towns and Places  >  L

Cultural Heritage Center

103 S. 4th Street
Linn, MO 65051
(573) 897-2932
Historic  Towns  &  Places
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Name of Place Description / History Location County(s) Postal Service Map
Index
  • L'Ouis Creek
  • L'Ours Creek
  • L'Ourse Creek
  • French for Bear (Ours) or She-Bear (Ourse) and later the name was americanized to Loose Creek.

    Formerly Kingston and later Loose Creek Station, McKnight and Isbell Station.

    Mouth of Loose Creek on Missouri Pacific Railroad and Missouri River. Osage N/A 1863
  • Lacon
  • A post office eight miles northwest of Vienna. (13)

    Lacon was a post office; it was relocated several times and was discontinued before 1938. (8)

    Northwestern county. Maries 1856-1864
    1866-1887
    1906-1908
    1863
    1873
    1875
    1892
  • Lane
  • This PO was named for Jasper Lane, the landowner. (8).

    1904 map locates it on the Gasconade River.

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Just north of Hwy 50 on 89 spur east of Linn. Osage 1903-1920 1904
    1920
  • Lane's Ford
  •   Near Kinderhook on Gasconade River. Maries N/A N/A
  • Lane's Prairie
  • Twelve miles east of Vienna and about twelve miles north of St. James, it's nearest station, contains two stores, one wagon shop.  Same as Bloomington. (13

    Jan 1, 1851 - Lane's Prairie, Osage, Missouri - Postmaster - William L. Pinnell (14)

    1855 - Lane's Prairie, p-o, Osage co., Mo. (16)

    1873 Post Road -
    From Lisle, by Westphalia, Mavais, Pay Down, Kinderhook, Lane's Prairie, Spanish Prairie, Maramec, Steelville, Osage, and Harmony, to Caledonia. (15)

    Photos

    Hwy 28 & Rt Z south of Belle in Maires County.

    Located on the main road between Maramec and the mining area to Jefferson City in the 1850 and 60's.

    Osage

    Maries

    1842-1851

    1851-1914

    1859
    1861
    1863
    1873
    1875
    1895
    1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Lange Store
  • "This is a discontinued PO named for E. Lange, Sr, who built a store there in 1858. It was located about 3 mi south of Morrison and NE of Fredericksburg". (8) Northwest corrner of county. Gasconade 1878-1898 1897
    1901
  • Leander
  • First postmaster was James A. Matthews. Center of county east of Woollam in NE Canaan twp. (8) Gasconade 1856-1860 1863
  • LeBoeuf
  • 1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Photos

    South county, north of Summerfield on Rd 711 in twp 42, rng 8, sec 34. Osage 1886-1920 1895
    1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Leduc
  • Later Margaret. Southwest of county near Clevesville. Gasconade 1875-1895 1895
  • Lee's Cross Roads
  • Green P. Lee patented land at present day Drake in 1838. Junction of hwy 50 and 19 in central county. Gasconade 1846 N/A
  • Light
  • Store building still there, but abandonded. Southeastern county off of Rt P. Maries 1894-1923 1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Lindell
  • Abandonded. East central county on Rt Z. Maries 1884-1919 1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Linn
  • Previously Lucy's Creek.
    Also, see Linnville.

    ca 1843 - After surveyor Zurmegede laid out Linn, the first lot was purchased by W. M. Lampkins, and Theodore Evans secured the first license to keep an inn or tavern there. (17)

    Jan 1, 1851 - Linn (c.h.), Osage, Missouri - Postmaster - William M. Lambkin (14)

    1855 - Linn, p-v., capital of Osage co., Mo.  Pop. 1,176. (16)

    1873 Post Road -
    From Fredericksburg, by New Providence, Oshawa, to Linn.
    Also, from Hermann, by Gasconade Ferry, Fredericksburg, Bailey's Creek, to Linn.
    Also from Linn to Cooper Hill.
    Also, from Linn, by Mount Ariel, to Owen's Mill.
    Also, from Washington, by Union, Beaufort, Burbois, Enon, Mount Sterling, Linn, Loose Creek, Lisle, and Taos, to Jefferson City.
    (15)

    1915 Business & Individual Directory description

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Hwy 50 (old state road) in center of county.  Twp 43N, Rng 8W. Osage 1844-Pres 1859
    1861
    1863
    1873
    1875
    1878
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Linnville
  • ...on November 16 [1842] they oredered the county seat proper called "Linnville." (17)

    "Court appointed name for Linn, Nov 7, 1842.  The name “Linnville” was used but once in the records, nor was there ever any order entered of record changing the county seat from “Linnville” to Linn". Note: There was already a post office with the name of Linnville in Jefferson County at that time.

    See Linn Osage N/A N/A
  • Linnwood
  • Formerly Stony Point, later Ryors (About 10 miles east of Linn. Osage 1863-1889 1870
    1873
    1901
  • Lisle
  • Lisletown
  • The next one (store) was at Lisletown, in 1831 or 1832; this was the second town and first post-office in the county, and was "boomed" by its founder, Benjamin Lisle; it was located at the left of the mouth of the Maries, but never prospered, for Westphalia was founded about 1835, and soon overshadowed Mr. Lisle's town completely. (17)

    ca 1841 - The first petitions for roads were from Evans' Ferry, on the Missouri, to Robert Goodman's mill; from the same place to Lysletown (also spelled Liletown and Lisletown);.. (17)

    ca 1842 - The first "inn or tavern" was licensed to Charles Holtschneider, at "Lisletown." (17)

    Jan 1851 - Lisle, Osage, Missouri - Postmater - Elisabth Huber (14)

    1855 - Lisle, p-v., Osage co., Mo. (16)

    1873 Post Road -
    From Lisle, by Westphalia, Mavais, Pay Down, Kinderhook, Lane's Prairie, Spanish Prairie, Maramec, Steelville, Osage, and Harmony, to Caledonia.
    Also, from Washington, by Union, Beaufort, Burbois, Enon, Mount Sterling, Linn, Loose Creek, Lisle, and Taos, to Jefferson City.
    (15)

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    On state road (hwy 50) and confluence of Osage and Maries Rivers.  Area now known as Mari-osa Delta. Gasconade

    Osage

    1838-1842

    1842-1860

    1846
    1859
    1861
    1863
    1875
  • Little Berger
  •   North county near head of Little Berger creek. Gasconade 1872-1901 1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
  • Lois
  • Formerly Bloomington. East central county, 3 1/2 miles north of Vichy. Maries 1889-1912 1895
    1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Loose Creek
  • Attempted name changes were Russellville and Mary's Creek.

    In 1847...the first bridge ordered, its location being on Loose Creek. (17)

    Jan 1, 1851 - Loose Creek, Osage, Missouri - Postmaster - William B. Munks (14)

    1855 - Loose Creek, p-o, Osage co., Mo. (16)

    1873 Post Road -
    From Washington, by Union, Beaufort, Burbois, Enon, Mount Sterling, Linn, Loose Creek, Lisle, and Taos, to Jefferson City. (15)

    1915 Business & Individual Directory description

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Located west of Linn on Hwy 50.  Built on creek that had the french name of L'Ours (meaning Bear). Osage 1849-Pres 1859
    1873
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Loose Creek Station
  • Formerly Kingston and L'Ouis Creek.  Later McKnight and then Isbell Station. Between Bonnet's Mill and St. Aubert on Missouri Pacific Railroad and Missouri River near the mouth of Loose Creek. Osage N/A 1873
  • Lucy's Creek
  • Later Linn.

    First postmater was George Crutsinger.  After Osage county seat was established here and name changed to Linn, George Crutsinger was appointed Superindendent of Public Buildings and instructed to prepare plans for a courthouse.

    On State Road (Hwy 50) between Mount Sterling and Lisle Gasconade 1840-1844 1846
  • Luystown
  • 1915 Business & Individual Directory description

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    Six miles northwest of Linn. Osage 1881-1921 1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920