Research  >  Communities  >  Historic Towns and Places  >  S

Cultural Heritage Center

103 S. 4th Street
Linn, MO 65051
(573) 897-2932
Historic  Towns  &  Places
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Name of Place Description / History Location County(s) Postal Service Map
Index
  • Safe
  •   Southest county on Rt. H between High Gate and St. James. Maries 1886-1958 1895
    1897
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Saint Aubert
  • St. Aubert(s)
  • St. Auberts Station
  • Formerly Medora.

    Railroad stop on the Missouri Pacific Railroad.  Post office was moved here in 1893 from Saint Aubert, Callaway County on the north side of the Missouri River which had operated since 1849, thus the change in name.

    1873 Post Road -
    From Saint Aubertson (sic), by Bluffton and Portland, to Rhineland. (15) (This is obviously on the north side of the Missouri river)

    1976 Osage County Memory Book description

    North county, between Chamois and Loose Creek Station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Callaway
     

    Osage

    1849-1861
    1863-1893

    1893-1935

    1875
    1878
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Sand Rock
  •   ? Osage 1885-1886
    1889-1890
    N/A
  • Santee
  • Santee was a PO in Miller T. named for Addison Santee, a civil engineer for the Frisco RR. It was abandoned by 1938. (8) Most likely near the Santee schoolhouse which is located off hwy 133 in sec 2, twp 38n, rng 11w. Maries 1898-1903 N/A
  • Schiller's Mill
  • Schiller's mill, near Westphalia, was about the second mill established, and here also was the first "still," near 1833. (17) Near Westphalia. Osage N/A N/A
  • Shields
  •   ? Maries 1855-1856 N/A
  • Shipley's Landing
  • Early boat landing and debarkation point. Later a woodyard for steamboats.  (See Isbell Station)

    ca 1842 - Shipley's ferry privilege was the first act of that kind. (17)

    Just below the mouth of Loose Creek on the Missouri River.  John Shipley patented land here in 1849 (sec35, 45n, 9w) Osage N/A N/A
  • Simpsons
  • Moses Simpson patented land on the west side of present day St. Aubert.  This is likely the first name for the PO which later became Medora and then St. Aubert. On Missouri Pacific Railroad between Hermann and Lisle.  (sec 24, 49n, 9w) Gasconade
    Osage
    1824-1828E
    N/A
    1859
  • Skiatook
  •   ? Maries 1915-1917 N/A
  • Smith's Creek
  • The second post-office was kept by Wyatt Smith as early as 1832, on Indian (later Smith's) Creek. (17)

    Smith's Creek mission (Methodist) held meetings at various locations in the area.  The first meeting house was in Van Buren just to the east.

    (End of pavement on hwy D off hwy U, southwest of Linn. ) Gasconade

    Osage

    1833-1838

    N/A

    N/A
  • Southwest Branch
  • Most references I've seen has been in Civil War records.  The Southwest Branch is that of the Pacific Railroad which deadheaded in Rolla at the time. Running from St. Louis through Rolla and on in a southwesterly direction toward Springfield and beyond. N/A N/A N/A
  • Spanish Prairie
  • 1873 Post Road -
    From Jefferson City, by Westphalia, Mavais, Kinderhook, Spanish Prairie, Maramec, Steelville, Osage, and Harmony, to Caledonia.
    Also, from Lisle, by Westphalia, Mavais,Pay Down, Kinderhook, Lane's Prairie, Spanish Prairie, Maramec, Steelville, Osage, and Harmony, to Caledonia. (15)
    A prairie in southeast corner of Maries and northwest corner of Phelps county.

    Also, the name of a post office on the prairie.

    Crawford
    Phelps
    1842-1857
    1857-1864
    1863
  • Steens Prairie
  • A post office fifteen miles northeast of Vienna. (13) Northeast county, south of Belle, twp 42, rng 7, sec 32. Maries 1860-1912 1873
    1892
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Steuber
  •   There is a Steuber Hollow west of Gascondy on the west side of the Gasconade River. Osage 1902 N/A
  • Stickney
  •   South central county. Maries 1903-1951 1904
    1920
  • Stolpe
  • Probably was the former Gasconade Ferry. Up the Gasconade river from Gasconade City. Gasconade 1886-1901 1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Stony Hill
  •   Eastern border of county. Gasconade 1867-1962 1873
    1875
    1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920
  • Sudheimer
  •   Western border of county. Maries 1905-1914
    1923-1936
    1920
  • Summerfield
  • Railroad town and stockyard.  At one time was the clay capital of the world.

    1941 Osage Co. Centennial description

    Photos

    North county, four miles west of Belle on Hwy M. Maries 1903-1957 1904
    1913
    1920
  • Surprise
  •   ? Osage 1879-1883 N/A
  • Swan Lake
  • "This oxbow lake, now drained, was formed by the Gasconade River, swans and other water fowl once stopped here". (8) Near Rich Fountain and Van Buren. Osage N/A 1852 Survey
  • Swiss
  •   On hwy 19 between Hermann and Drake. Gasconade 1874-1950 1895
    1897
    1901
    1904
    1913
    1920